I am Segun Damisa, the leader of "Alkebu-lan". Alkebu-lan is a musical group that plays authentic Afro-Beat music in Nigeria. This band has been existing for about three years now. My experience before starting this band is versatile. I started cutting my musical teeth with Fela Anikulapo Kuti's band for four years where I was introduced to AFRICANISM. I proceeded to King Sunny Ade's Band on adventure into African music but had to come back to the African shrine to become a pioneer member of the Positive Force (Femi Anikulapo Kuti's Band) in 1986.
Throughout my stay with Femi Kuti, I travelled round the world. I had
the opportunity to compare and contrast what Africa really portrays
because I was privileged to play alongside big musical names that gave
the exposure to what we have started and what we have not started. I had
what I will call a musical rebirth - that is, the propelling force that
gives rise and birth to SEGUN DAMISA ALKEBU-LAN.
During this period with FEMI KUTI, I featured in almost all the biggest
1. MUSIQUES METISSES (ANGOULEME) FRANCE
2 WOMAD FESTIVAL (READING) UK
3 WOMAD FESTIVAL (SEATLE) USA
4 PLAYBOY JAZZ FESTIVAL (L.A) USA
5 MONTREAL JAZZ FESTIVAL (MONTREAL) CANADA
6. FUJI ROCK FESTIVAL (NAEBA) JAPAN
7. NEW ORLEAN JAZZ FESTIVAL USA
8. REGGAE ON THE RIVER (CALIFONIA) USA
9. AFRICA FETE USA/CANADA
10. CENTRAL PARK (NEWYORK) USA
11. IMAGES OF AFRICA DENMARK
12. ROSKILDE FESTIVAL DENMARK
13. DRUM JAZZ FESTIVAL HOLLAND
14. PALEO FESTIVAL SWITZERLAND
15. ART ALIVE INT. FESTIVAL S/AFRICA
16. ST. LOUIS JAZZ FESTIVAL SENEGAL
17. 2nd GLOBAL VILLAGE FESTIVAL FINLAND
18. NORTH SEA JAZZ FESTIVAL HOLLAND
19. KORA AWARD S/AFRICA
20. WORLD MUSIC AWARD MONACO
21. NOBLE PRICE AWARD NORWAY
22. SOLIDAY PARIS FRANCE
The above mentioned shows and festivals are just a few out of many.
Except Fela Anikulapo Kuti that is dead but lives, both Femi Kuti and King Sunny Ade are ready to serve as referees, and tell you more about SEGUN DAMISA.